Gordon Ramsey has been earning rave reviews from critics and fans alike as of late. It’s not just that he’s a fantastic chef and TV host, though. Gordon Ramsey knows his knives! He doesn’t mince words when it comes to cooking ability.
As a host of television shows Hell’s Kitchen and Master Chef, he also doesn’t mince words regarding cooking ability. He often talks about his favorite knife set that allows him to cook better meals faster and more efficiently.
In this post, you’ll discover the TOP 3 kitchen knives Gordon Ramsey recommends and uses in his kitchen.
In his own words, “With these three knives, you can’t go wrong.” Let’s get straight to these top knives.
Gordon’s Three Types Of Kitchen Knives
Gordon Ramsey’s choice of knives is the reason behind his mastery of flipping and chopping food with speed and precision.
Without wasting a single second, here are these types of knives that complete his set:
Knife #1: The Chef’s Knife (Chopping Knife)
- The Chef’s knife, also known as a workhorse in the kitchen, is an excellent choice for Ramsey for handling pretty much anything from chopping, dicing, and slicing.
- His Chef knife comes from Wusthof or Henckels, the respected worldwide high-end knife manufacturers (more details about these brands coming up later in the post).
- With that said, a good chef knife should have a longer blade length (up to 8 inches). This size allows you to hold it in one hand with your fingers resting on top of the handle.
- This design keeps your knuckles out of harm’s way when chopping. It also gives you more control over how much food you want to slice at one time.
- The choice of materials should also be worth looking into. The perfect model should come with a comfortable handle. Plus, its blade should be made from high-carbon steel for excellent edge retention.
- Another feature worth noting is weight. Chef knives typically weigh less than 4 ounces, making them easy to handle during long shifts in the kitchen.
- Despite their lightweight, they are well balanced, giving you stability while performing massive cuts due to their high carbon steel composition.
- Chef knives with a bolster-less design are also a good choice. Instead of having a bump on both sides of the handle where it meets the blade, these knives taper down to nothing.
- It gives them a more streamlined appearance and makes cleaning under those cracks where food collects easier.
- And lastly, the handle of a chef knife should be ergonomically shaped. It should offer ample room on either side to accommodate even larger hands.
- Some feature dimples, while others have grooves to help with grip.
Knife #2: The Serrated Knife
- The second knife in Gordon Ramsay’s set is the serrated knife. When you think about serrated knives, chances are you picture carving a fine slice of pie.
- While that’s undoubtedly true, these knives also serve a much more practical purpose in day-to-day cooking. They’re the ultimate tool for cutting bread without crushing it.
- The knife sets itself apart from standard models with its saw-like edge. This is the reason behind its ability to slice through tough crusts or hard gristle with ease, thus less waste and mess while doing your daily prep work.
- Another characteristic of a serrated knife is a long-lasting edge. A typical solid blade can become nicked over time when cutting through more rigid materials.
- However, it is impossible to get chipped or damaged with a serrated knife. This is due to it uses saw-like edges.
- Serrated knives are also easier to clean. Because serration teeth are slightly rounded, they tend not to trap food particles, making them easier to clean than traditional blades.
- And lastly, the blade is roughly 10-12 inches long on average. Because of the longer length, you can cut through thicker foods.
- As a result, this equates to reduced pressure, which means you’re less likely to cut yourself while chopping or dicing.
Knife #3: The Paring Knife
- A paring knife seals the set of knives Gordon Ramsey uses in his kitchen. This is typically a light, elegant knife that can handle delicate tasks with precision and ease.
- While it lacks weight, it makes up for it in agility, which comes in handy when performing precise cuts on small fruits and vegetables.
- So, what are some of the distinct features that make this type of knife one of Chef Gordon’s favorites?
- To start with, these versatile, all-purpose cutting tools are more minute than chef’s knives (usually ranging from 4-6 long). But they pack just as much power and flexibility into their compact size.
- For example, many experienced cooks prefer paring knives over utility blades due to their fine edge, allowing for more control.
- Secondly, these knives feature durable blades made from solid steel, ensuring longevity despite their lightness. The high-quality steel also holds an edge for exceptionally long, meaning minimal maintenance is needed over time.
- One more thing, good quality knives are made with quality steel with razor-sharp blades. The results are cleaner cuts, which lead to a neater presentation for final plating.
What Is Gordon Ramsey Favorite Knife Brand?
Now that you know the top 3 knives used by Ramsey Gordon, the next thing you might be asking yourself is what brands he trusts to make these knives that work for him.
The pro chef has no secret when it comes to the brand of knife he prefers. He has two favorite brands the Henckels and Wüsthof.
Both companies are known for making high-quality chef knives favored by professional chefs all over the planet.
Let’s briefly describe each of these brands below-
Wüsthof is one of the oldest cutlery companies in Germany, having been established back in 1895. Their knife blades are forged from high-carbon stainless steel using a unique hardening process.
Therefore, you can sharpen the knives to a hair-splitting edge that will last for many years.
Henckels has been producing its iconic knife sets since 1814 and continues to do so up to date.
According to him, Henckels knives are one of his most essential cooking equipment. They are sharp and durable enough to make food preparation easy.
These two high-end German-based manufacturers have a wide variety of different types of blades. And this ensures they have every type of knife you need for various chefs’ needs.
As expected, knives from these top-rated manufacturers feature premium pricetag. Therefore, if working on a tight budget, you might not enjoy these top-rated products.
However, you can still get good-quality that meet your unique needs from other brands at a much lower cost.
Both manufacturers are based in Solingen (City of Blades) in Germany. This region is synonymous with top-of-the-line knife blades, assuring you of the highest quality products.
Gordon Ramsey Expert Tip for Chef Knives
What’s more satisfying than getting knife advice from a pro chef? This is the kind of advice you don’t have to re-think.
And this is what Gordon Ramsey advises for anyone who wants to get the best cooking knife. The secret behind getting a great set of knives for use around your kitchen is the handle.
You heard it right—the HANDLE! If you can comfortably hold the knife handle in your hands during cutting, it becomes much easier to use.
The firmer a knife handle feels, the easier the chopping experience gives you. The heavier the handle, the more balance and control it provides you over the blade.
BEFORE you buy a knife, hold it in your hand and make sure it naturally fits you.
Now that you know Gordon Ramsey’s top 3 most preferred knives, you can add them to your collection to follow in his footsteps.
These include the chef, serrated, and paring knives. The chef prefers knives by the Henckels or Wusthof, the two German-based high-end knife manufacturers.
Regardless of which brand you buy your knives from, make sure they’re well made and meet your unique needs.
And as Gordon Ramsey advises, the knife handle is everything when it comes to picking the perfect knife for use in your kitchen. Be sure to hold a new knife in your hand to ensure it fits you well.
Overall, arming yourself with the three knives will make you feel like Gordon Ramsey in your kitchen every time you set to prepare your favorite meal.